|October 18, 2007
Halloween is particularly tough on Babe – candy corn is off limits, unless she attempts to make her own, which would most likely lead to confectionary catastrophe, and a lot of dirty dishes that would sit in the sink until…well, until someone else came to wash them. Luckily, there are plenty of other delectable vegan options to satisfy her sweet tooth. In Babe’s trick-or-treating bag this year are mass market candies like Mamba fruit chews, Swedish Fish and Green & Black organic dark chocolate pieces. If you’re planning a party and want to offer guests more creative, inspired choices, here is Babe’s ideal menu:
*Chocolate Decadence chocolate witches, pumpkins and ghosts ($23.95 for a 50-count bag)
* Peter Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from Vegan Honey ($12 for five). Babe wants to marry one of these, they’re so yummy (see picture at right).
* Late July organic crackers and Vegan Gourmet Follow Your Heart “cheese”
* Cut up several of Amy’s Spinach Pizza with Rice Crust into bite-size squares
* Vegan caramel corn, recipe from chooseveg.com
* Blood orange punch – organic vodka, pomegranate juice, Blue Sky organic ginger ale and sliced organic oranges – how much of each depends on how drunk you want to get your guests, or yourself.
* And of course, cupcakes – if you haven’t got it already, pick up Isa Chandra Moskowitz’ Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, which has tons of creative recipes. Use some organic food coloring to create some festive, spooky frosting.
As for costumes, you’re on your own. Babe will be dressing up as the late, great Flower of "Meerkat Manor."